KVR Canada 150th Celebration Tour
Celebrating our heritage with this valleys to mountains adventure is the theme for this 7 day/6 nights KVR extravaganza! $2150/person (includes layover day and extra events at Big White Mountain Resort, all luggage transfers) based on double occupancy
Trip Rating: Moderate – average 40-50 km days over variable terrain. Layover day midway at Big White with optional riding or hiking or relaxing! Includes all the very best of the KVR!
Join us as we celebrate our 5th year of tours, 150 years of Canada, and 102 years of passenger travel on the KVR with the Canada 150th Celebration Tour!
This tour combines heritage and adventure, river valleys, lakes and alpine meadows – what better way to celebrate Canada’s 150th then to immerse yourself in nature and set off on this amazing adventure!
Step back in time
Arrive Midway, BC – Mile 0 of the KVR. Stay tonight in the restored Midway heritage hotel – visit the Kettle River Museum, formerly the KVR Midway Station. Just two years prior, the KVR celebrated 100 years of passenger service – from rails to trails.
Then the adventure unfolds – as you cycle along the route laid out just over 100 years ago carrying gold, copper, silver and more across the province. Now this rich river valley is home to farmers fields, ranches and a true country way of life. Visit the eclectic town of Rock Creek where panning for gold is still a way to make a living! then on up the river valley, through Taurus canyon and to Beaverdell. Home cooked food awaits you after a long day on the trail – an early night at the peaceful cottage will help you on your summit ride tomorrow!
Today’s ride takes you deep into the wilderness of the trail – no shops or cafes on this route, just forest, rivers and streams. At the summit of the trail a shuttle awaits to take you the final 20 kilometres uphill to Big White – by winter a popular ski resort, this small town has a growing year round appeal with mountain biking, alpine meadows and lakes. Revel in the luxurious accommodation here for two days, with surprise events held each weekend through the summer! From live music to themed events and fabulous food, you will have plenty to celebrate here at the very peak of your KVR ride!
Bridges & Tunnels
Then whizzing downhill back to the trail – 22 kilometres! – and on to the KVR engineering marvel of Myra Canyon. 18 trestle bridges and two tunnels take you around the horseshoe shaped canyon. Your stay tonight takes you four kilometres downhill off the trail to a spectacular setting for the evening.
Your ride is all downhill the next day – from the final trestle to Chute Lake Lodge and then swooping down beneath giant Ponderosa Pines the Okanagan Lake appears sparkling far below. Your final night is definitely one to celebrate in the quaint village of Naramata where you will stay at a heritage inn or resort.
And finally, a short day to finish, through orchards and vineyards into the bustling tourist town of Penticton – your adventure complete! and a KVR heritage gift to take home.
Included in your Canada 150th Celebration:
- 5 days cycling along the KVR from Midway or Rock Creek to Penticton plus 1 layover day to explore Big White – hiking to alpine meadows and lake, or mountain biking or enjoying the themed village events
- 6 nights accommodation ranging from comfortable cabins to B&B’s, Alpine luxury stay, heritage Inns and lodges
- 15 meals including 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 4 dinners
- bicycle rental – 21 speed Giant Trail Bikes; equipped with rear rack and panniers. Our bikes are chosen specifically for travel on the KVR and are superb for the terrain
- route notes and maps plus tips on cycling the trail
- Emergency Support – we are never far away should you need assistance however please note! This tour is self-guided and you should be confident in changing a flat tire. We can provide you with instruction should you need.
- daily luggage transfers
- shuttle to or from the trail to your start/finish point
- shuttle from KVR to Big White Resort
- shuttle from Naramata back to the trail
Dates available for 2017:
Can-1 Wednesday June 28 – Tuesday July 4
Can-2 Wednesday July 19 – Tuesday July 25 Sold out!
Can-3 Wednesday Aug 23 – Tuesday Aug 29 Sold out!